Many businesses are. Companies that spring to mind are Pepsi, National Geographic, Starbucks and Jamie Oliver. Lots of people have been talking about Instagram recently – that’s probably down to the fact that Facebook bought it for a whopping £629m ($1bn) at the beginning of April 2012.
If you don’t already know, Instagram is a way to share photos with your friends and followers. You take a photo, apply a filter to it and share on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Foursquare and a variety of others including Instagram itself. The filters are really cool – they add effects that pimp up your photo and ultimately make it look better. It’s a great tool to share what you’re up to, who you’re with, show off your products and let people know who you are and what you do. The best part about Instagram is that it is free and easy to use.
If used correctly, Instagram is a great way to build brand awareness and find your target audience through sharing photos of interest. It has been very popular with food related topics. A common hashtag on Instagram for a while now has been #foodporn. When you get a chance to have a look at it, search for #foodporn and you will see what I mean.
How can your business use Instagram?
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Load up your Instagram account with 10 or so pic’s before you start connecting with people
- These pic’s must be relevant to your business i.e. the team, the equipment, the products, a happy customer holding your product, behind the scenes, your store/workshop, your view from the office etc… get creative and have fun with it!
- Don’t forget to write a caption and use #hashtags
- Follow your customers or target audience (you could find them by searching hashtags)
- Take time out each day to like and comment on your followers’ pictures
- Ensure that you upload pictures to Instagram every day – it’s like any other Social Platform out there, you need to post decent content daily, engage and respond to make it work!
Oh, and once you’re on Instagram, come over and connect with me. I would love to see you over there https://followgram.me/campbellbooth/
Good luck and most of all, enjoy it…
Thanks to Sarah Campbell for this excellent guest post. Sarah Campbell is a London convert to the beautiful Sussex countryside, who is partial to coffee and cake. Owner of Campbell Booth Social Media who get your business on the right Social Media channels, by doing it for you,or training you to do it yourself.